Preserving Chapel Hill's Past
...for future generations.
The History of the Chapel Hill Public Library
The Chapel Hill Historical Society was founded in 1966 to research and document the history of Chapel Hill and its surrounding communities, to encourage and assist in the study of local history, and to provide public programs and publications related to the heritage and traditions of the community. Our rich and diverse past programs include a series about the mainline churches of Chapel Hill, an informative lecture about the geological formations in Orange County, and a presentation by local cooks and chefs about local and Southern cuisine. Our annual Town Treasures program recognizes citizens who have served the community with an awards ceremony and in an exhibition of distinctive portraits by local photographer Catharine Carter.
Many of the programs and events are held in our newly-renovated headquarters at 523 East Franklin, where we maintain books, publications, and research materials for those interested in town history. Among our most exciting recent acquisitions is the entire collection of bound copies of The Chapel Hill News, from 1927 through 2008. In addition to contributing monthly historical columns to The Chapel Hill News since 1999, the Society also has produced and sponsored numerous publications over the years, from These Old Stone Walls, written in 1973 by Phillips Russell, to Rogers Road, a book documenting the growth of an African American community in Orange County, by Emily Eidenier in 2009.